Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Training

Yesterday I walked within ten feet of Rollie Fingers. He was standing on the concourse at Scottsdale stadium in Arizona with a sign that said "Meet Rollie Fingers." I had paid ten dollars to watch the Giants play their last "home" spring training game of the season and my eyes were opening to a whole new world of baseball.


Moments later, I relaxed on the lawn that serves as seating in right field. Cubs fans and Giants fans intermingled with no issues. I was able to take a quick five minute nap all while professional major league baseball players played professional major league baseball within spitting distance (I didn't spit).

In a couple hours I'm going to watch the Padres play the Royals and get my first look at our 2010 squad. But what I love about it is that the game won't matter. It's really the ideal circumstances to watch a team like the Padres in spring training when they're just playing for fun and no one is keeping track of standings. It seemed like it was working well for Cubs fans too. Baseball with no strings is the most relaxing sports experience I've ever had.

So I'm headed off to scout our boys, but I suspect I'll just come back thinking that they look like they're having a hell of a time. God bless the Padres.

No comments: