Wednesday, June 25, 2008

40 Words

By Nick McCann

Closer Trevor Hoffman gave up back-to-back homers in the ninth inning as San Diego lost to Minnesota at PETCO Park. Adrian Gonzalez scored the only run for the Padres and Jake Peavy went six strong innings, but got a no-decision- last night’s game summary from MLB.com.

The Padres’ best hitter scored, their best pitcher threw the best game possible for his current health situation, their over the hill icon of a closer showed his age, and they ended up losing to the Twins, a franchise with more talent and less resources.

Last night when the game was tied at 1-1 in the eighth, I decided to watch Matt Damon hate the Jews in the solid early 90s almost classic, School Ties instead. I figured that I knew Matt Damon was good in the movie and he wouldn’t let me down. I knew he would make me hate him for assuming that the Jews were evil even though he didn’t know any. I did this because, unlike Damon's character's feelings toward the Jews, I know who the Padres are. I figured I would wake up, check MLB.com for the wrap up, and not be surprised by another blown opportunity to get closer to the top of the NL West Standings.


The 2008 Season can be summed up in 40 words, and the message of School Ties can be summed up in 10: don’t make assumptions about things you don’t know anything about.

I know too much about the Padres.

No comments: